What this policy covers
The BabyRice team understands that privacy and data security is a major concern for our customers. We're consumers too, and that's why we treasure your data and protect it like it's our own. These policies act as our guideline for how we process, use and protect your personal data. Please read these policies carefully and don't hesitate to get in touch with us if you require further clarification. Please note, these policies may change in response to legislative changes and other business critical requirements. The babyrice.co.uk website (the "Site") is owned and operated by BabyRice Limited. The data controller is BabyRice Limited, referred to in this policy as “we” or “us”.
This policy sets out our guidelines for privacy and cookies, covering:
- the types of personal data we collect
- how and why we collect your personal data
- when and why we share personal data
- your rights and choices
- how we protect personal data
1. The types of personal data we collect
1.1 What personal data do we collect and how do we obtain it?
BabyRice is committed to protecting your privacy and as such we will only ever use the information that we collect about you in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018. We collect, store and use your personal information for specific purposes in order to make your relationship with BabyRice as smooth as possible. To that end, we may collect the following personal data when you register on the Site, by phone, email or post or when you speak with us through social media:
- Personal details, including your name, email address, telephone number, postal and billing addresses;
- Information about your online purchases;
- Information about your online browsing behaviour on our Site;
- Information about the devices you have used to access our Site;
- Details about digital communications we send to you that you open, including any links you click on;
- Your feedback and contributions to customer surveys and questionnaires;
1.2 Why do we ask for your phone number?
We ask you to provide a phone number when setting up your account. This is so that we can contact you quickly to resolve any issues relating to your order. We may also, from time to time, contact you to ensure that you are happy with the service you received.
1.3 Credit card transactions
Your full card details are not recorded or stored in our database. BabyRice collects and stores only the final four numbers of your credit or debit card along with the expiry date and cardholder name to enable you to select that card when making future purchases. They are encrypted and are transferred securely to one or more third party payment service providers for immediate authorisation. Once we have received authorisation from the payment service provider we will confirm your order.
1.4. Security of your account and password
You must never share the username and password with which you register with babyrice.co.uk with anyone else. You are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and any other identifying information. We know that you may use the same password for other online accounts, and that it is highly sensitive. Rest assured, your password will remain encrypted and we do not have access to it. If you forget your password, you can request to reset it. By requesting to reset your password an email will be sent to the email address registered with your account containing a link to reset your password. You will then be able to access your account and create a new password.
2. Why we collect your personal data
The personal data you provide (including your contact and delivery details, payment information, purchase and download history) will be collected, processed, stored and used by us, in order to:
- provide goods and services to you
- manage and improve our day-to-day operations
- improve customer satisfaction and experience
- process payments
- provide support
- contact and interact with you
- tailor advertising on this and other platforms
- and otherwise in accordance with our legal rights and obligations
3. Sharing your data
3.1 Sharing your data with partners and service providers
All the information we collect via the Site or through correspondence (including telephone calls) with you is used to operate, improve the service we offer you and to personalise our products service. Sometimes, it will be necessary for us to work with partners in order to provide the products and services you have requested. When we share personal data with these companies we require them to keep it safe, and they must not use your personal data for their own marketing purposes.
The list below outlines the circumstances in which we may share your data:
1. We may pass on your orders to selected partner(s) and/or subcontractors so they can supply goods and services to you.
2. BabyRice and our partners may use subcontractors (for example to assist with delivery and fulfilment) to process and provide your orders to you.
3. Technical administration of our website.
4. Letting you know about offers, news and products from our sister company, Framing Marvellous (FM) – we will only do so if you have consented to hearing from FM.
5. To verify details of your payment method or credit card account.
3.2 Sharing your data with other organisations
We will NEVER sell your data to other companies. There are, however, a very limited set of circumstances in which we may share some of your data with others:
- Our data records are a business asset, so in the unlikely event that our business assets are ever sold your data would be shared with the new business entity. You will receive notice of any such event.
- If the law or a public authority says we must share the personal data.
- If we need to share personal data in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights (this includes preventing fraud and reducing credit risk).
3.2.1 Data processors
BabyRice works with following data processors who collect information on our behalf:
Trusted Shops allows online retailers to collect, showcase and manage customer feedback. When you place an order with us, you will receive an automated email from our partners at Trusted Shops asking you to rate the products and services you have received. These reviews are automatically displayed on the BabyRice website. In order to request reviews, we share the following information with our Trusted Shops:
- email address
- order ID
- date of purchase
We use MailChimp to manage our mailing lists and to create and send our newsletters. We share the following information with MailChimp:
- email address
- country of residence
- purchase history
4. Your rights and choices
4.1 Managing your account
If you would like to see what information we hold about you, simply log on to www.babyrice.co.uk and log in to your account. You can update your account details online anytime you choose.
4.2 Opting out
When you create an account on babyrice.co.uk, you can decide to opt out of receiving marketing communications from us. Of course we will continue to communicate with you in order to process your orders. You can change your communication preferences any time you like by logging into your Account. Please allow seven working days for your opt out to be processed.
4.3 Subject access requests
The Data Protection Act 2018 (the “Act”), gives you the right to request a copy of all personal data we hold about you, by means of a process called a Subject Access Request. All Subject Access Requests must be in writing. Please note: access request may be subject to a fee of up to £10. This fee allows us to meet our costs in providing you with details of the personal information we hold about you.
We will hold and process your personal data for so long as is necessary for the purposes stated in our Terms & Conditions and to address any claims or issues that may arise concerning your use of our Services.
After that, we may continue to hold data that relates to you and your use of our Services for research and statistical analysis, as permitted by applicable law (currently Section 33 of the Data Protection Act 2018) – however, during this time you may request that we delete personal data we hold about you by contacting our Customer Services and providing such information and verification as is requested of you.
5. How we protect personal data
We take every precaution to protect your information.
- We use computer safeguards such as firewalls and data encryption in order to keep all of our data safe.
- Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job are granted access to personally identifiable information.
- We protect the security of your information while it is being transmitted by encrypting it using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).
- We enforce physical, electronic and procedural safeguards in connection with the collection, storage and disclosure of personal data. We may occasionally ask for proof of identity before we share your personal data with you.
- We will reveal only the last four digits of your credit card number when confirming an order.
We all know that the internet is not 100% secure, therefore we cannot guarantee the security of any information we exchange with you over the internet. BabyRice is not responsible for any damages which you, or others, may suffer as a result of the loss of confidentiality of such information.
6 Cookies Policy
6.1 What are cookies
Cookies are tiny files that are downloaded to your computer, to improve your experience. This page describes what information they gather, how we use it and why we sometimes need to store these cookies. We will also share how you can prevent these cookies from being stored however this may downgrade or 'break' certain elements of the sites functionality.
For more general information on cookies see the Wikipedia article on HTTP Cookies.
- To identify you as you journey through the Site and to monitor this journey and record sales.
- To provide site usage information that will help us improve our products and services.
- To ensure that items are placed into your shopping basket and your order is processed correctly.
- For marketing purposes for example, to display personalised banners.
6.3 Disabling cookies
Of course, you can change your website browser settings at any time to reject cookies. Learn how to do this here: www.aboutcookies.org. Please be aware that disabling cookies will affect the functionality of this and many other websites that you visit. Disabling cookies will usually result in also disabling certain functionality and features of the Site. Therefore it is recommended that you do not disable cookies.
6.5 The Cookies We Set
This Site offers newsletter or email subscription services and cookies may be used to remember if you are already registered and whether to show certain notifications which might only be valid to subscribed/unsubscribed users.
This Site offers e-commerce or payment facilities and some cookies are essential to ensure that your order is remembered between pages so that we can process it properly.
6.6 Third Party Cookies
Third party analytics are used to track and measure usage of this Site so that we can continue to produce engaging content. These cookies may track things such as how long you spend on the Site or pages you visit which helps us to understand how we can improve the Site for you.
As we sell products it's important for us to understand statistics about how many of the visitors to our Site actually make a purchase and as such this is the kind of data that these cookies will track. This is important to you as it means that we can accurately make business predictions that allow us to monitor our advertising and product costs to ensure the best possible price.
The Google AdSense service we use to serve advertising uses a DoubleClick cookie to serve more relevant ads across the web and limit the number of times that a given ad is shown to you. For more information on Google AdSense see the official Google AdSense privacy FAQ.
In some cases we may provide you with custom content based on what you tell us about yourself either directly or indirectly by linking a social media account. These types of cookies simply allow us to provide you with content that we feel may be of interest to you.
We also use social media buttons and/or plugins on this Site that allow you to connect with your social network in various ways. For these to work the following social media sites including; Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, will set cookies through our Site which may be used to enhance your profile on their site or contribute to the data they hold for various purposes outlined in their respective privacy policies.
6.7 List of cookies we collect
The table below lists the cookies we collect and what information they store.
|COOKIE name||COOKIE Description|
|CART||The association with your shopping cart.|
|CATEGORY_INFO||Stores the category info on the page, that allows to display pages more quickly.|
|COMPARE||The items that you have in the Compare Products list.|
|CURRENCY||Your preferred currency|
|CUSTOMER||An encrypted version of your customer id with the store.|
|CUSTOMER_AUTH||An indicator if you are currently logged into the store.|
|CUSTOMER_INFO||An encrypted version of the customer group you belong to.|
|CUSTOMER_SEGMENT_IDS||Stores the Customer Segment ID|
|EXTERNAL_NO_CACHE||A flag, which indicates whether caching is disabled or not.|
|FRONTEND||Your session ID on the server.|
|GUEST-VIEW||Allows guests to edit their orders.|
|LAST_CATEGORY||The last category you visited.|
|LAST_PRODUCT||The most recent product you have viewed.|
|NEWMESSAGE||Indicates whether a new message has been received.|
|NO_CACHE||Indicates whether it is allowed to use cache.|
|PERSISTENT_SHOPPING_CART||A link to information about your cart and viewing history if you have asked the site.|
|POLL||The ID of any polls you have recently voted in.|
|POLLN||Information on what polls you have voted on.|
|RECENTLYCOMPARED||The items that you have recently compared.|
|STF||Information on products you have emailed to friends.|
|STORE||The store view or language you have selected.|
|VIEWED_PRODUCT_IDS||The products that you have recently viewed.|
|WISHLIST||An encrypted list of products added to your Wishlist.|
|WISHLIST_CNT||The number of items in your Wishlist.|
6.8 More Information
Hopefully that has clarified things for you and as was previously mentioned if there is something that you aren't sure whether you need or not it's usually safer to leave cookies enabled in case it does interact with one of the features you use on our Site. This policy was last updated 26th April 2018.