- View Reviews
Really good material to work with, sets quickly which is great as you can get some that set slower than you want. Will definitely be buying more for future project.raiting starraiting starraiting starraiting starraiting star
Perfect! produced a great mould for use with silicone and plaster. CAn't say much more than that, it's a very easy product to use and easy to clean up too.raiting starraiting starraiting starraiting starraiting star
I did not see than was alginate which becomes solid in 90 seconds. I use it for moulding my hands and face and you have to be really quick if you want to use it. Otherwise nice product which came fast !raiting starraiting starraiting starraiting starraiting star
Would love to know how to slow process down.When doing larger areas. But brilliant product.raiting starraiting starraiting starraiting starraiting star
Fast and goodraiting starraiting starraiting starraiting starraiting star
Ideal for castings. Easy to use. I recommend this product. No allergy.raiting starraiting starraiting starraiting starraiting star
- Leave a Review
BabyRice Skin Safe Alginate Impression Moulding Powder – 2KG (4 packs)
BabyRice Skin Safe Alginate Impression Moulding Powder is the number one choice for making highly detailed full 3D impression moulds of body parts, such as hands, feet, paws, faces and so on.
When your alginate impression mould has been created you need to fill the mould soonafter to create your cast. Most popular is to make a 3D Plaster Cast but you can also make your 3D cast using Resins, Liquid Waxes and Liquid Soaps.
BabyRice Alginate is supplied in handy 500g heat-sealed packs to keep the alginate in tiptop condition until you are ready to use it. Each pack is new, fresh and sealed and will have a shelf-life of at least 2 years from your purchase date.
Other alginate brands provide alginate impression powder in 454g bags, but with our 500g bags, BabyRice gives you far more value for your hard-earned money!
Chromatic Alginate - Colour Change
Chromatic simply means colour-changing and BabyRice alginate impression powder goes through a three-stage colour changing process:
- It starts life as a white powder
- When mixed with water it turns pink
- When set, the alginate is an off-white colour
- The alginate goes back to being pink when your cast is setting in the impression mould - sometimes, the plaster can take on a pink colour hue, but this completely disappears when the plaster cast dries out
How quickly does it set?
The working and setting times of BabyRice Skin Safe Alginate depends on the temperature of the water, putting you in control of the process. When mixed with water at 30 degrees celsius, BabyRice alginate has a total working time of approximately 2 minutes. At 2 minutes the alginate starts to set and is fully set by 2.5 to 3 minutes. 30°C is the ideal temperature for creating baby hand and foot moulds and moulds of other delicate body parts. BabyRice Alginate is a a fast-setting alginate, which is great for life-casting projects with babies, pets and children, as the subject need not be in the alginate mixture for too long.
For the professional caster, used to working with BabyRice Alginate, the working time can be extended a little by reducing the temperature of the water used to mix the alginate. Cooler water (but not cold!) will make the alginate set a little slower. If you need to speed up the setting time, simply increase the temperature of the water by a few degrees celcius. Cold water will stop the setting process completely.
Alginate's main ingredient is kelp, a form of seaweed, so it’s completely safe to use on delicate skin. BabyRice alginate is “dental grade”, meaning it is also used by dentists to make moulds inside people's mouths for gums and teeth impressions. BabyRice alginate conforms to British Safety Standards BS 4269 Pt.2:1991 and ISO 1563:1990.
Want to make a 3D Cast?
BabyRice Skin Safe Alginate can be used to create highly detailed 3D impression moulds. In order to create a 3D plaster cast, you will need to pour casting plaster into your mould soonafter making it. We only use Herculite 2 Casting Plaster, which is far superior (stronger and more durable) than Plaster of Paris, you can find the casting plaster on our website page here.
What can I make an Alginate Impression Mould of?
BabyRice Skin Safe Alginate is suitable for a wide range of uses, including: mould making for dental work; life casting for professional casters, hobbyists, artists, medical professionals, prosthetics work and special effects professionals.
- New parents use our alginate to make baby hand and foot impression moulds.
- Couples, Parents, Children, Babies and Pets use our alginate to make a holding hand or holding paw cast.
- Families use our alginate to make an everlasting family hands cast keepsake.
- Medical professionals use our alginate to make moulds of limbs when developing new prosthetics.
- Professional artists use our alginate to cast body parts when creating sculptures.
- Special effects studios and make-up artists use our alginate to create highly detailed moulds of actors' faces, hands and feet.
- Dentists use our alginate to make impression moulds of gums and teeth.
- Pet owners and veterinarians use BabyRice Alginate to make 3D replica casts of dog paws, dog noses and cat paws.
- Funeral directors and hospices use BabyRice Alginate to create 3D hand casts of family members, making lasting keepsakes of departed loved ones.
Full instructions are provided with every order in languages English, French, German and Italian.